If, like us, you care passionately about the provenance of your food, you’ll be delighted to hear that, with the help of our friends at Waitrose, we’re able to offer environmentally friendly choices for those days you do eat meat.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do, so we’re proud to stock Waitrose meat because we know it’s sourced responsibly. We also love that they’re constantly developing and promoting new, more efficient farming methods.
By working with suppliers to foster long-term relationships, Waitrose are also helping to preserve the British farming economy. And that’s something we’re delighted to support.
Some facts about Waitrose meat:
Waitrose works constantly to offset the environmental impact of more meat consumption in the following ways.
Better for the environment
- Developing research into livestock genetics. Healthier animals are more efficient and better for the environment.
- Supporting new feed diet formulations. This will help to reduce methane output – a major contributor to climate change.
- Promoting better feedstocks. Waitrose supports new grassland varieties that are converted more efficiently by ruminant livestock.
- Reducing carbon footprint. Waitrose sources its meat from the UK or from countries where that meat has an equivalent or lower carbon footprint to the UK equivalent, for example New Zealand lamb.
- High Welfare System. In the UK, Waitrose only buys livestock direct from the farms of their producers.
- Responsible farming. Waitrose is committed to responsible farming and environmental stewardship schemes.
- Protecting our farmers. Waitrose develops longer term supply relationships that aim to preserve our fragile farming economy.
- Using all possible cuts. Waitrose aims to use as much meat from the animals as possible.
- Reducing waste. Waitrose recipes encourage us to use our leftovers and cut down on the amount of meat we waste in the home.
To learn more about Waitrose’s responsible meat policy, please visit