Offer - Easy Bean Indian Sambar Dhal 320g
over 1 week *
Price per 100g: £1.09
Toor dhal, cauliflower, green beans and spinach, simmered with tamarind, coconut and mustard seed
Sambar is a well known vegetable dhal curry from South India. It is served as an everyday dish as well as the first part at any feast. Traditionally it is eaten as the accompaniment to dosas - a pancake like preparation made from rice and dhal flour. The chunks of vegetables cooked in a dhal sauce and seasoned with South Indian spices, makes the perfect comfort food.
We think beans are pretty special and deserve a bit more culinary respect.
Inspired by the bean and one-pot recipes from around the world, we use good, honest natural ingredients, nutritious pulses, chunky veg, infused with herbs and spices, to make a versatile meal in a pot.
We think beans are pretty special
They look good; all shapes, sizes and colours - like pebbles on a beach.
An ingredient of high regard in cuisines around the world - think cassoulet, feijoada, falafel, dhal.
And as one of nature's healthiest foods, beans are good for us too. High in protein, virtually fat free and with more fibre than many wholegrains.
What's more beans fix nitrogen and fertilise our soils as they grow.
Did you know?
Pigeon peas are eaten young and green in the Caribbean. They are known as Gungo peas in Jamaica or according to Wikipedia another name for a pigeon pea is no-eye pea!
Beans, peas and lentils are the richest source of vegetable protein.
Dhal (or dal) in India is used to mean a split pulse cooked as a sauce.
Toor dhal is in fact a pigeon pea and not a lentil as you might expect from its appearance. The dhal is prepared by milling dried pigeon peas to remove a thick coat and to split the seed. The origin of the plant is unclear, although they are now mainly grown in India. Pigeon peas are noted for being highly nutritious, as well as for their delicate sweet flavour.
- Brands: Easy Bean
- Dietary & Lifestyle: Gluten Free, Milk Free, Vegetarian, Fairtrade, Wheat Free
- Options: On Offer
Keep Refrigerated; Suitable for Home Freezing
Hob - From Chilled. Reheat in pan.; Microwave - From Chilled. Remove lid and place loosely on top of the pot. Heat on full power for 3 mins (Cat E-800W). After heating stir and stand for 1 minute before serving.
Preparation and Usage
Lunch on the go or supper in a mo!
Lovely Lunch Idea
With mini-naan or enjoy on its own.
Super Supper Idea
Perfect with rice or the classic dosas.
Serve the warmed sambar with basmati rice and accompany with coconut or fruit chutney.
Sleeve & Pot
Inner - Recyclable; Sleeve - Recyclable
May Contain Celery, Free From Gluten, Free From Dairy, May Contain Peanuts
Vegetable Stock (Water, Vegetables, Salt, Black Pepper), Tomatoes, Toor Dhal (6.5%), Onion, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Carrots, Spinach (Vegetables 25%), Channa Dhal, Creamed Coconut (2.7%), Spices, Garlic, Tamarind, Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Mustard Seed, Curry Leaves
Suitable for Vegetarians; Suitable for Vegans
|Typical Values||per: 100g||per: 320g|
|(of which sugars)||2.4g||7.7g|
|(of which saturates)||1.8g||5.8g|
|(of which sodium)||0.1g||0.3g|
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.