Garofalo Penne Pasta 500g
Italian Penne Ziti Rigate Dry Pasta.
100% Durum Wheat Semolina.
From Gragnano near Naples in Italy.
Suitable for Vegetarians.
Garofalo has been making pasta for over 300 years in Gragnano near Naples in Italy, the home of pasta. Made from 100% robust desert durum wheat and shaped using a bronze die gives Garofalo pasta its premium taste and texture.
Penne are probably the most popular tubular pasta types around, The word Penne means "quills" and refers to straight tubes of pasta cut diagonally at the ends (like a quill pen). Rigate means "ridges" which helps hold more sauce on the pasta than the smooth penne type.
Penne makes excellent and versatile pasta for many applications because of the very practical design. The angle cut of the end makes a large surface area for sauce to fall into and be drawn up the tube which means they are great for pairing with thick tomato sauces, meat sauces, chunky vegetable sauces, and thick cream sauces.
- Food Cupboard / Brand Shops / Garofalo Shop / Traditional
- Speciality / Kosher / Food cupboard
- Speciality / International / Italian / Pasta & Sauce / Dry Pasta
- Food Cupboard / Rice, Pasta, Noodles & Pulses / Pasta / Penne
Store in a cool, dry place.
Prepare & Use
Cooking time 11 minutes.
Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add salt if required. Keeping the water at a rolling boil add the amount of pasta needed. Stir with a wooden spoon to prevent the pasta sticking together and to avoid damaging the pasta. Cook for the recommended time, drain and serve.
Cream of peppers, oregano and parmigiano.
1 yellow and 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced,
1 shallot, finely chopped,
1 tbsp oregano,
100 gr grated parmigiano,
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
400 gr of Garofalo Penne Rigate.
Place oil and shallots in a frying pan and sauté gently making sure shallots don't brown (as they become bitter).
Add the peppers and sauté until very tender; if the mix becomes too dry add some boiling water (a glass will do).
Season to taste (please remember that extra salt will go in with the parmigiano, so don't overdo it).
Place the sauce in a food processor and blitz to a cream, add the oregano.
To cook the pasta, use a large capacity pan and bring to the boil 4 litres of water, add salt and then the pasta.
The golden rule for cooking pasta properly is to use 1 litre of water for every 100 gr of pasta! Don't bother adding ANY oil (it has better uses) to prevent pasta from sticking: it is the quantity of water and regular stirring that will ensure pasta doesn't stick.
Place the sauce on the drained pasta, stir well and add plenty of grated parmigiano. You may wish to add a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Serve at once and enjoy this most flavoursome, light and inexpensive dish.
This is a wonderfully tasty sauce and its creamy consistency makes it ideal with the penne: some (but crucially not all) of the sauce finding its way into each penna!
Country of Origin
Pastificio Lucio Garofalo S.p.A.,
Via Dei Pastai, 42,
- Contains: Gluten, Wheat
Italian Durum Wheat Semolina.
Suitable for Vegetarians
|Typical Values||per 100g|
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.