Offer - Laphroaig Quarter Cask 70cl
This is an age restricted product
You will be asked at checkout to verify that you are over the age of 18
Save 20%, was £36 - This saving of 20% is available until 31/12/2013, or whilst stocks last - Maximum 20 promotional items per customer
Price per litre: £41.14
The most richly flavoured of all Scotch Whiskies
This expression of our famous whisky has enjoyed a second maturation in small quarter casks. These most traditional barrels recreate the practices of a bygone era, to create the perfect marriage of peat and oak. Laphroaig quarter cask is barrier filtered only and bottled at a higher strength.
Laphroaig Quarter Cask takes its inspiration from the small casks often used for Scotch Whisky in the 19th century and frequently transported across the Glens by packhorse.
As the industry grew, they fell into disuse - bigger and more cost effective barrels became the norm, for maturations and transportation.
However as single malt lovers may know, the relationship between the barrel and the maturing spirit is critical. We noted that the small cask size gives up to 60% greater contact with the wood compared to some of the larger sizes used today, thus greatly intensifying the maturation process.
It was decided to re-create some of these Quarter Casks and the flavours they produce. We transferred some still maturing Laphroaig from our larger style barrels into the Quarter Casks. There then followed a further period of maturation in our original Dunnage Warehouse No1.
For greater authenticity we simply barrier filtered the whisky - the method used in those far of days - and bottled at a higher alcoholic strength.
The result surprised and delighted us. The additional oak influence creates a soft sweetness and velvety feel when first tasted, then the intense peatiness so unique to Laphroaig, comes bursting through. The finish is very long and alternates between the sweetness and the peat.
We believe that the original founding Johnston brothers would recognise this unique expression and thank us for recreating it. We hope you enjoy drinking Quarter Cask as much as we did making it.
33.6 UK units
1.2 UK units per 25ml serving
- Drinks / Spirits & Liqueurs / Whisky / Malt Whisky
- Off Licence / Spirits & Liqueurs / Whisky / Malt Whisky
Store in a cool dry place.
Prepare & Use
Please note Laphroaig Quarter Cask may go cloudy with the addition of water in the glass. This is perfectly normal when a whisky is non chill-filtered.
Best savoured with a little cool water
Country of Origin
Country of Packing
D. Johnston & Co., Laphroaig Distillery, Isle of Islay..
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.