Ocado British Growing Basil Pot
The king of herbs, basil is the most popular of the Mediterranean herbs with its lush green leaves and pungent flavour reminiscent of Italian cooking. Pick tender leaves from the plant to adorn your caprese salad, or chop and mix with olive oil for a fantastic pesto sauce for your pasta, magnifico!
Caprese Salad - Place alternate slices of mozzarella and beef tomato on a plate, sprinkle basil leaves over and drizzle with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper.
Pesto - Combine pine buts, basil, grated parmesan, garlic and olive oil in a food processor and blend. Stir into your favourite pasta.
Growing herbs are "cut as you need", harvest just above leaf growth to encourage the plant to re-grow. The best way to look after basil is to let the plant tell you it needs watering, as it will start to wilt. The plants will quickly spring back up and the stress will actually increase the oil content they are producing, improving the flavour. Basil is highly susceptible to chill (below 10°C) or cold draughts - the leaves will start to blacken.
It is important not to water the plants too soon before harvesting the leaves, as this will dilute the flavour. Basil needs more water than other herbs. The more light and heat they are exposed to, the more frequently they will need watering. During winter, you will probably find that growing herbs will not need to be watered very often.
Watering the herbs from the bottom is the key to keeping them healthy and to prolonging their life. Your herbs have always been watered from below so by keeping to this regime you will extend the life of the plant.
Remove the herb pots from their sleeves and place the pots in the tray. By placing water at the bottom of the tray you can always see how much water your plants have taken up. Generally water little and often and never keep your plant in standing water.
This is an Ocado product. Like everything in our range, it's good quality, sensibly priced and, of course, responsibly sourced.
Prepare & Use
1. Pick leaves as required.
2. Wash before use.
3. Tear or chop.
4. Add at the end of cooking for maximum flavour.
Produced and packed for:
Proactive about packaging. We remove it when we can.
Ocado Growing Herbs come in a specially designed outer carton to prevent damage during transit.
Ocado are working with Love Food Hate Waste to reduce our impact on the environment. Visit www.lovefoodhatewaste.com to find out how you can get more out of the food you buy.
Sea salt is used to capture and seal in the natural juices of the fresh flavours of the lemon and herbs.
1 hr 5 mins
Baking the chicken keeps it juicy and moist. Real comfort food
You can add chickpeas or pinto beans to this dish and spice it up with a little Tabasco sauce.
1 hr 20 mins
Evian and Badoit have teamed up with BAFTA to create a series of refreshing mocktails to serve to the nominees. It’s never been so easy to create your own BAFTA party at home.
A uniquely patriotic reinvention of a classic dish, combining red rice, white mozzarella and green pesto.
4 hrs 15 mins
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.