Ocado British Growing Basil Pot
Ocado Growing Basil Pot.
The best way to look after basil is to let the plant tell you it needs watering, as it will start to wilt. The plants will quickly spring back up and the stress will actually increase the oil content they are producing, improving the flavour.
It is also important not to water the plants too soon before harvesting the leaves, as this will dilute the flavour. Basil is highly susceptible to chill (below 10°C) or cold draughts - the leaves will start to blacken.
The windowsill is a good place to put herbs but remember to remove Basil from a cold windowsill overnight, otherwise you may see chill damage. In ideal conditions, the plant will grow quickly and to stop it getting too leggy, pinch back the stems down to the new side growth as the leaves are harvested. When preparing, tear the leaves rather than chopping with a knife as this will stop the damaged edge turning black.
Potted herbs are grown as a `cut as you need' fresher alternative to cut herbs; suited to growing in well lit, protected conditions on the windowsill or worktop. Potted herbs are mainly suited to the indoors, however, they can be planted outdoors, with varying success during spring and summer. Basil will only grow outdoors successfully when outdoor temperature rises above 10°C.
Basil needs more water than other herbs. The more light and heat they are exposed to, the more frequently they will need watering. During winter, you will probably find that potted herbs will not need to be watered very often.
This is an Ocado product. Like everything in our range, it's good quality, sensibly priced and, of course, responsibly sourced.
- Fresh / Salad & Herbs / Fresh Herbs / Basil
- Food Cupboard / Cooking Ingredients / Herbs / Fresh Herbs / Basil
- Home & Garden / Gardening / Grow Your Own / Seeds & Planting / Herbs
Prepare & Use
Watering the herbs from the bottom is the key to keeping them healthy and to prolonging their life. Your herbs have always been watered from below so by keeping to this regime you will extend the life of the plant.
Remove the herb pots from their sleeves and place the pots in the tray. By placing water at the bottom of the tray you can always see how much water your plants have taken up. Generally water little and often and never keep your plant in standing water
Produced and packed for:
Proactive about packaging. We remove it when we can.
Ocado Growing Herbs come in a specially designed outer carton to prevent damage during transit.
Ocado are working with Love Food Hate Waste to reduce our impact on the environment. Visit www.lovefoodhatewaste.com to find out how you can get more out of the food you buy.
Sea salt is used to capture and seal in the natural juices of the fresh flavours of the lemon and herbs.
1 hr 5 mins
Baking the chicken keeps it juicy and moist. Real comfort food
You can add chickpeas or pinto beans to this dish and spice it up with a little Tabasco sauce.
1 hr 20 mins
Evian and Badoit have teamed up with BAFTA to create a series of refreshing mocktails to serve to the nominees. It’s never been so easy to create your own BAFTA party at home.
A uniquely patriotic reinvention of a classic dish, combining red rice, white mozzarella and green pesto.
4 hrs 15 mins
View all recipes containing Ocado British Growing Basil Pot
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.