Rude Health Puffed Rice 225g
Price per 100g: 91p
100% Wholegrain and Gluten Free
For a Flying Start to the Day
Silent but lovely: Why real puffed rice is different
Real puffed rice doesn't make a sound when you pour milk on it. Most puffed rice is pulped, reconstituted, fortified and sugar-coated. No wonder it explodes on contact with liquid. We only use wholegrain brown rice from Italy's Po Valley. We compress it, we pause for a moment, then we release the pressure... and foop! It turns into tasty little bubbles of fun, with all the crunch and flavour you could possibly need. If you want a tasty breakfast, we're always happy to help. If you want a noisy one, turn up the radio.
Puffed Rice Trivia
If you're hanging out on a beach near Mumbai in India, make sure you try some Bhelpuri. It's a favourite local snack, made with puffed rice, chutney and spices. Perfect for getting your energy back after a morning's waterskiing.
Puffed Rice made its début at the 1904 St Louis World's Fair. Its inventor, Alexander Anderson, shot it out of guns to publicise his new 'snack food'. Your can see one of his original rice puffing guns in the Goodhue County Historical Centre, if you're ever in Minnesota and have nothing better to do. (If you do see it, please send us a picture.)
Every puff in this pack is made from one whole grain. We don't mash up our grains then re-shape them. That means they keep all their natural flavour and nutrition. So we don't have to 'fortify' them with artificial additives, because we don't process the good stuff out in the first place.
Brown rice is low in fat. After all, when did you last see a fat rice stalk? And the only other thing inside the pack is air, which is also low in fat.
No Added Salt or Sugar
We all know that many cereals have sugar and salt added to them. But did you know that some have more salt than a packet of crisps, and some have more sugar per serving than a jam doughnut? (We mention no names...) There's no sugar or salt added to this cereal, it's just good honest brown rice.
If you're gluten intolerant, here's some good news: rice is one of the few grains that's gluten-free. And even if you're not, but you're regularly eating pasta, toast and sandwiches, then this will be a welcome break from all that wheat.
What gets us up in the morning
- We don't put artificial additives in our cereal. None. Ever. That means we have to get the very best ingredients to make it taste just right. So we lace up our boots and go and get them.
- We select rice from farms in locations with perfect growing conditions. The closest place to the UK where you can grow rice really well is the Po Valley in northern Italy. So that's where we buy ours.
- We don't use GM. Don't get us started about that stuff.
- All our packaging minimises waste. We use recycled, recyclable materials wherever possible.
- Of course, there are easier ways to make cereal. But then, easy things aren't really as much fun, are they?
- Speciality / Free From / Gluten Free / Breakfast Cereals
- Speciality / Free From / Wheat Free / Breakfast Cereals
- Food Cupboard / Breakfast Cereals / Cornflakes & Clusters / Plain Cereals
- Food Cupboard / Breakfast Cereals / Kids' Cereals / Rice & Plain Cereals
Store in a dry place.
Prepare & Use
How we like it:
White puffed rice and white milk are a perfect Zen combination for a minimalist morning. To colour things up a bit, add some berries and watch them bob around like balloons in a cloudy sky
Country of Origin
1 Glenville Mews,
Carton box recyclable.
- May Contain: Nut, Sesame
- Free from: Gluten, Wheat
Whole Brown Rice (100%).
No Added Salt
|Typical values||per 100g||per 22g with 125ml s/s milk|
|of which sugars||0.7g||6.2g|
|of which saturates||0.5g||1.5g|
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.