- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer Sale.Summer Sale
Restock your wine rack with savings on red, white and rosé.Wine Sale
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lollies.Ice Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
Almond and Orange Carrot Cake
This cake does not need flour or butter, so is great for people on restricted diets.
Good with fresh fruit, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or redcurrants, and a spoonful of Greek yogurt or whipped cream.
Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3). Line a 20.4cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Cook the carrots in a little water until tender, then drain, cool slightly, and blend to a purée with the orange juice.
Whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl with the vanilla and grated orange zest. Gradually add the sugar, whisking until it becomes thick and pale. Fold in the carrot purée and ground almonds.
In a clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the yolk mixture. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Pile on the raspberries and sift icing sugar over the top to serve.
- 200g carrots, peeled
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 drops pure vanilla extract
- 1 orange
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp orange , juice, or orange or almond-flavoured liqueur
- 150g ground almonds
- 7 raspberries , to garnish
- 1 dusting icing sugar , to garnish
Makes 8 slices
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
Price per 100g: 93p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Price each: 34.2p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price each: 25p
Price per kg: £2.56
Price per 100g: £1.19
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 100ml: £3.79
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 14-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.