Rub the flour, vegetable fat, and 60g of butter together until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add 5 tbsps of iced water to form a firm dough. Chill for 30 minutes, wrapped in cling film.
Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). On a floured surface, roll the pastry to a 38cm (15in) round. Place on a baking tray.
Peel and cut the apples and pears into 5mm (1/4in) slices, and starting a little way in from the pastry edge, place in concentric circles. Add the sugar and remaining diced butter and fold the pastry over the edge of the fruit.
Bake the galette for 45 minutes, or until the fruit slices are tender. Brush with the jam, cool slightly, and serve warm.
- 175g plain flour, extra for dusting
- 30g vegetable fat , solid, diced
- 90g butter , 30g diced
- 450g golden delicious apples
- 450g pears , ripe
- 45g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp apricot jam , melted
Makes 8 slices
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per kg: £1.98
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price each: 42.3p
Price per 100g: 52.4p
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 17-Sep-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.