Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3). Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the shallots and garlic over a low heat until softened, then increase the heat a little, and cook until the shallots are golden. Stir in the tarragon, and 2 tbsp of cream.
Divide the shallot mixture between 4 ramekins, spreading it over the base of each and hollowing the centres a little. Crack an egg into each dish. Divide the remaining cream between the ramekins.
Mix the cheese, breadcrumbs, and chives, and season with plenty of pepper. Pile this mixture on the eggs, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and serve at once.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp tarragon , chopped
- 175ml double cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp gruyère cheese or cheddar cheese (for vegetarians), grated
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs , day-old
- 1 tbsp chives, snipped
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Price per 10g: 36.8p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price per 10g: 46p
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 20.5 days.
Price each: 32.7p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price per kg: £3.13
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 100g: £1.03
Price per 10g: 99.8p
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
Price per kg: £6.98
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.