Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7).
Place the beetroot in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wrap each beetroot in kitchen foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until the beetroot is easily pierced with a knife. Allow to cool, then trim, remove the skin, and cut into eighths.
Heat a large frying pan over a high heat. Rub the beef with oil and salt, and coat each side well with coarsely ground black pepper. Sear the beef on both sides, then transfer to a baking dish and roast for 15–20 minutes. If serving cold, allow to cool, wrap tightly in cling film, and chill.
Lower the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Toss the walnuts in honey, salt, and sugar, and place on a baking tray, spaced evenly apart. Bake for 3 minutes, then remove from the oven and quickly place on to a cool tray.
When ready to serve, lightly toss the rocket in oil and vinegar, arrange in a serving bowl, and scatter over the beetroot, walnuts, and chives. Slice the beef thinly and add to the salad.
Combine the ingredients for the horseradish cream and serve alongside the salad.
- 4 beetroots
- 100ml olive oil , for drizzling
- 10g salt
- 20g black pepper , freshly ground
- 1 kg fillet of beef , trimmed
- 100g walnut halves
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 175g rocket
- 1 drizzle balsamic vinegar , to drizzle
- 2 tbsp chives , chopped
- ½ tbsp horseradish, (for the horseradish cream)
- 6 tbsp crème fraîche, (for the horseradish cream)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , (for the horseradish cream)
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
Price per kg: £3.50
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 6.5 days.
Price each: 37.5p
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3.5 days.
Price per 100g: £1.41
7d+* Product life guaranteed for 7 days including delivery day, with an average of 20.5 days.
Price per 100ml: 37.5p
Price per 10g: 36.8p
Price per 100ml: 72p
Price per kg: £1.98
Price per 100g: £1.55
Price per 100ml: 50p
Price per 10g: 74.8p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.Typically
Price per kg: £36.99
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 13-Nov-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.