- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer SaleSummer Sale
Here comes the sun – and we’ve got everything you need.Holiday Shop
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lolliesIce Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
Black Pudding with Apple
See products for this recipe
Sweet apples are the perfect partner for savoury, peppery black pudding and bacon. Serve this dish for breakfast or brunch.
Good with chutney and granary toast. For a more substantial snack, serve with creamy mashed potato.
Cut each apple slice in half. Melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the apple pieces and sugar and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8–10 minutes, or until softened and slightly caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Wipe out the pan, smear the pan with a little oil and fry the black pudding slices, in batches, over a medium-high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly crisp. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Fry the bacon strips for 3 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly crisp, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan, increase the heat, and pour in the cider. Allow to bubble until well reduced and syrupy, stirring to incorporate any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
To serve, place a slice of black pudding on each plate, add a layer of apples, then repeat with the rest of the black pudding and apple. Top with the bacon strips and drizzle with the pan juices.
- 3 eating apples , sweet, peeled, cored and sliced
- 30g butter
- 2 tsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil , for frying
- 8 slices black pudding , large or small
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers , cut lengthways into thin strips
- 100ml cider
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price per kg: £9.56
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 42.3p
Price per kg: £2.80
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 27-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.