Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron pan, add the pork, and cook over a high heat for 3–5 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and put to one side. You may need to do this in batches.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan (if needed), add the onions, and cook over a low heat for 5–8 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Season with salt and black pepper. Raise the heat, add the sherry and rice wine vinegar, and allow to boil for 5 minutes until the alcohol evaporates.
Add the orange juice, star anise, ginger, five-spice powder, stock, and soy sauce and stir well. Return the meat to the pan, bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and put in the oven to cook for 2 1 / 2 hours. Check occasionally and add a little hot water if it is looking dry.
Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and cut off any excess fat. Chop into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot. Cover with a lid while you cook the noodles. Add the noodles to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 8–10 minutes, or until soft. Drain well, then transfer to a shallow serving bowl. Dot with the butter, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve with the pork belly.
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.8 kg pork belly, cut into strips
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 200ml dry sherry
- 1 splash rice wine vinegar
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 3 star anise
- 10 cm fresh root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock, or chicken stock
- 1 splash dark soy sauce
- 450g egg noodles
- 1 knob butter
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 33.2p
Price per 10g: 63.5p
Price per 100ml: 92.7p
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7.5 days.
Price each: 18.3p
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Price per 100g: 80p
Price per 10g: 32.8p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3.5 days.
Price per 100g: 33.3p
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 100g: £2.00
Price per 10g: 56.9p
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.Typically
Price per kg: £6.89
Price per 75cl: £10.98
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 17-Sep-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.