Step 1 can be completed 1 hour in advance, and the cucumber slices kept covered in the refrigerator.
Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the cucumber into thin slices, no thicker than 3mm (1/8in) for each slice. Place the slices in a colander or sieve and sprinkle with the salt. Leave the colander to sit over a plate for 20–30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain out of the cucumber slices. When ready to use, sprinkle the slices with the vinegar.
Spread each slice of bread with the softened butter. Place the cucumber in an even layer over four of the bread slices. Grind with some black pepper then top with the remaining bread.
Cut off the crusts, then cut each sandwich into squares, triangles or fingers. Arrange the sandwiches on a serving plate and sprinkle with watercress. Serve at once.
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 8 slices white bread
- 50g butter, softened for spreading
- 1 pinch black pepper , freshly ground
- 1 bag watercress, snipped, for garnishing
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Other time: 30 (standing)
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
Price per 100g: £1.39
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3.5 days.
Price per 100g: 18.8p
Price per 10g: 74.8p
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.