Heat the butter with 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, deep pan. Stir in the fennel, garlic, and leek, and fry over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
Stir in the tomatoes, add the brandy, and boil rapidly for 2 minutes, or until the juices are reduced slightly. Stir in the saffron, orange zest, bay leaf, fish stock, and potatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and skim off any scum from the surface. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil with the wine in a large deep pan until boiling. Add the mussels, cover, and continue on high heat for 2–3 minutes, shaking the pan often. Discard any mussels that do not open. Strain, reserving the liquid, and set the mussels aside.
Add the liquid to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, add the monkfish pieces and prawns, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 5 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked and the prawns are pink. Add the mussels to the pan and bring almost to the boil.
Serve the soup sprinkled with chopped parsley.
- 30g butter,
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp Brandy
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, infused in a little hot water
- ½ orange , zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.7 litres fish stock ,
- 300g potatoes, diced and parboiled for 5 minutes
- 4 tbsp dry white wine
- 500g black mussels , fresh , scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- 500g monkfish , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 tiger prawns , raw whole
- 1 handful parsley , chopped, to garnish
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
3d* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.£4.79
Price per kg: £25.53
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.Typically
Price per kg: £21.59
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £12.47
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week£2.99
Price per kg: £3.98
Price each: 29p
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price per kg: £2.00
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £4.15
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price each: 62.3p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
Price per 100g: 31.8p
Price per 10g: 92p
Price per 100ml: 46p
Price per 10g: 14.4p
Price per 10g: 75p
Price per 10g: £88.75
Price per litre: £19.97
Price per 100ml: 50p
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 29-Oct-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.