Prepare steps 1 and 2, then cover and refrigerate the quails for up to 2 days.
Using kitchen scissors, cut each quail along the backbone, from the neck end to the parson’s nose. Open each quail, place on to a cutting board, skin-side up, and press firmly with your hand to flatten. Slash the breast skin a couple of times with a knife to ensure even cooking.
Mix the marinade ingredients together with a fork. Brush evenly over each quail, pressing into the cuts, and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
Preheat a grill to hot. Grill the quail on a foil-lined grill pan, turning once, for 12–15 minutes, or until golden brown and the juices show no trace of pink when pierced.
Serve hot, with lime wedges for squeezing.
- 8 whole quail
- 3 whole limes, 2 cut into wedges to serve, 1 juiced to glaze
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon root ginger, fresh, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 7.5 days.
Price per 100g: 80p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 6.5 days.
Price each: 37.5p
Price per 10g: 33.9p
Price per 100ml: 68p
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price per kg: £14.66
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 11-Mar-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.