- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer SaleSummer Sale
Here comes the sun – and we’ve got everything you need.Holiday Shop
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lolliesIce Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
Melt half the dripping in the casserole over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until browned and the juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on to kitchen paper.
Add the remaining dripping to the pan and heat. Add the sausages but not smoked sausages (if using), and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside with the chicken.
Add the onion, garlic, peppers, celery, and chilli to the pan and fry for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Add the rice, and chilli powder, and cook, stirring for 1–2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée, and cook, stirring for a further minute.
Return the chicken to the casserole, along with all the sausages, including smoked (if using), bay leaves, thyme, salt, paprika, and sugar, and season to taste with pepper. Pour in the tomatoes with their juice and the stock, and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to a low heat, cover, and simmer for 12–15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
Add the prawns, and simmer covered, for 3–5 minutes, or until the prawns are pink. The rice should be tender and the mixture a little soupy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with the hot pepper sauce alongside.
- 60g sunflower oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless boneless , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 225g spicy sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 1 chilli, deseeded and chopped (leave the seeds in if you like your dish very hot)
- 350g long grain rice
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- 400g chopped tomatoes, can
- 600ml chicken stock
- 12 prawns, large raw, heads and tails removed and deveined
- 2 tbsp hot pepper sauce, to serve
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 5.5 days.
Price per 100g: £1.38
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 5 days.
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price per kg: £8.23
Price per 10g: 92p
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price each: 33p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 18.3p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price per 100g: 24p
Price per 10g: 57.5p
Price per kg: £1.40
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
Price per 100ml: 19p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £22.22
Price per 10g: 44.8p
- View items 21 - 22 of 22
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 27-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.