Put the noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water, and leave for 8 minutes, or until soft. Drain and put to one side. Meanwhile, put 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large wok over a high heat and swirl around the pan. Add the beaten egg and whisk it around the wok for about a minute, or until it begins to set – don’t let it set completely – then spoon it out and put to one side.
Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the shrimp paste (if using), and chillies and stir. With the heat still high, add the chicken and stir vigorously for 5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Stir through the spring onions, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar and toss together well. Cook for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved, then season well with salt and black pepper. Return the egg to the pan.
Add the noodles to the pan and toss together to coat with the sauce, then add half the peanuts and half the coriander and toss again. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and scatter over the rest of the peanuts and coriander. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
- 550g medium or thick rice noodles
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp shrimp paste (optional)
- 4 fresh hot red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 chicken breast fillets, skinned and cut into 5mm ( 1 / 4 in) slices
- 2 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 splash Thai fish sauce, such as nam pla
- 2 limes, juiced, plus 8 lime wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 300g unsalted peanuts
- 1 handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 5 days.
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 5.5 days.
Price per 100g: £1.34
Price per kg: £1.86
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
Price per 10g: 33.9p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 37.5p
3d* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
Price per 100g: 33.3p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price per 100ml: 19p
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 100g: 57.6p
Price per 100ml: £1.26
Price per 10g: 74.8p
Price per 100g: £1.99
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 29-Oct-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.