Passover Courgette and Leek Matzo Kugel
So why is this Pesach different from any other? Well we are spoilt for choice with our Matzah. In my local Kosher deli there were so many varieties – organic, gluten free, oat matzahs, wholewheat, spelt matzah, low salt, chocolate coated in addition to the different brands. It is not surprising that cooking with matzah can be confusing. This recipe for courgette and leek kugel can be made with any of them (except the chocolate!) It is best sliced using a serrated knife and is delicious with a tomato salad and jacket potato.
Please ensure all ingredients are suitable before purchasing them.
Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
Line the base of two 900g/ 2 pound loaf tins with non stick baking parchment paper and grease the sides.
Using some kitchen paper or a sieve squeeze out any excess water from the grated courgette. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and 3 tbsp warm water. Break matzah into 3cm/1-inch pieces. Add to eggs and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile in a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring for two minutes. Stir in garlic. Add the courgette and cook for a final 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in spring onions, cheddar cheese, coriander, salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture to soaked matzah and mix well.
Spoon mixture into prepared baking tins.
Bake for 40 minutes or until top is firm to touch. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm cut into thick slices.
To serve the stylish way: Dust the plate with ground coriander and garnish the slices with sprigs of coriander.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil , to grease the tins
- 5 large eggs
- 6 pieces of large matzah squares
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts only), roughly chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 5 large courgettes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 200g Cheddar Cheese , grated
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch pepper, or to taste
- 3 sprigs coriander
Makes 2 kugels.
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: 10 (standing)
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £3.50
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
Price per 10g: 33.9p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price each: 25.8p
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £4.15
Price per 100ml: 19p
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 10g: 41.3p
Price per 10g: 66.3p
Recipe published with permission from Denise Phillips.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 17-Sep-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.