Put the lentils in a large heavy-based pan, season well with salt and black pepper, then pour in enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until soft. Top up with hot water if they begin to dry out. Drain and put to one side.
Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of the oil or 1 / 2 tablespoon of the ghee in a large heavy-based frying pan, add the dried spices, and cook, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes, or until the seeds pop. Stir in the onions, ginger, garlic, and chillies, and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
Add the remaining oil or ghee to the pan, then add the prawns. Raise the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes, or until pink and cooked. Stir through the pineapple, add the lentils and tomatoes and a little hot water so the mixture is slightly sloppy, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season again with salt and black pepper, stir through the coriander, and serve.
- 350g red lentils
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or 1tbsp ghee
- 6 pods cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 10 cm fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 3 - 4 green chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 675g (shelled weight) uncooked king prawns
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 5.5 days.
Price per 100g: £1.34
3d* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.£4.00
Price per kg: £17.78
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Price each: 18.3p
Price per 10g: 33.9p
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 8 days.
Price per 100g: 80p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price each: 12.5p
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per 10g: 49.7p
Price per 10g: 36.2p
Price per 10g: 74.8p
Price per 10g: 95.6p
Price per 100g: 25.8p
Price per 10g: 51.4p
Out of stock
This product is not available. Please check back soon for more info
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 30-Oct-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.