Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, and use to line the tart tin. Trim away the excess, line the pastry shell with greaseproof paper, and fill with ceramic baking beans. Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until the edges of the pastry are golden. Remove the beans and paper, brush the bottom of the pastry shell with a little of the beaten egg, and return to the oven for 2–3 minutes to crisp. Remove from the oven, and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and sweat gently for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, squash, and half of the thyme leaves, and continue cooking over a low heat for 10–15 minutes until the squash softens and begins to turn golden. You may have to add a little more oil.
Spoon the squash and onion mixture into the pastry shell, then crumble over the goat’s cheese. Mix the cream with the remaining beaten egg, and season well with salt and black pepper. Carefully pour the cream mixture over the tart filling, and sprinkle with the remaining thyme leaves. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes until the tart is puffed and set. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before releasing from the tin. Serve warm with a rocket salad.
- 300g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped into small cubes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 125g soft goat’s cheese
- 200ml double cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
Price per 10g: 63.5p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 18.3p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
6d+* Product life guaranteed for 6 days including delivery day, with an average of 10 days.
Price per 10g: 57.5p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 15.5 days.
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 17-Sep-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.