- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer SaleSummer Sale
Here comes the sun – and we’ve got everything you need.Holiday Shop
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lolliesIce Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
See products for this recipe
An American diner classic, this sandwich appeals to adults and children alike. Serve it with your favourite pickles and relishes.
Good with a selection of your favourite pickles such as pickled cucumbers and sweetcorn relish.
Though the shallots and peppers can be chopped and the spring onions sliced in advance, the tuna melts are best made and served straight away.
Heat the grill to high. Split each muffin in half and toast the cut sides.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the shallot, red pepper and spring onions, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned. Add the tuna, breaking up the chunks with a fork. Cook for 1 minute, or until the tuna is heated through, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tomato ketchup or relish and 2 tbsp of the mayonnaise.
Spread the remaining mayonnaise over the cut sides of the muffins, spoon the tuna mixture on top, and arrange the cheese triangles over the tuna.
Pop under the grill until the cheese melts and top with the muffin “lids”. Serve at once.
- 4 english muffins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 370g tuna chunks, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup,
- 6 tbsp lemon mayonnaise
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, halved diagonally
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 6.5 days.
Price each: 77.5p
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
Price per kg: £8.60
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3.5 days.
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
Price per 100ml: 35p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 6 days.
Price per kg: £3.13
Price per 100g: 90p
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 25-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.