- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer SaleSummer Sale
Here comes the sun – and we’ve got everything you need.Holiday Shop
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lolliesIce Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
The dipping sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator, covered, until required.
To make the dipping sauce, put the sake, soy sauce, sugar, and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl, mix together, then set aside.
Pour in oil to a depth of 7.5cm (3in) in a heavy saucepan and place over a medium-high heat to 190°C (375°F), or until a cube of day-old bread browns in less than 1 minute. Meanwhile, lightly whisk together the flour, 450ml iced water, and egg yolk in a bowl. The batter should remain lumpy, which is what makes the tempura light.
Dip the vegetable pieces into the batter in batches, letting any excess batter drip back into the bowl. Drop the battered vegetables into the hot oil and deep-fry for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the pan and drain well on kitchen paper. Keep warm while frying the remaining vegetables.
Serve immediately with small individual bowls of the dipping sauce.
- 800ml sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 200g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 200g runner beans, trimmed, thinly sliced or chopped
- 200g broccoli, trimmed, thinly sliced or chopped
- 200g carrots, trimmed, thinly sliced or chopped
- 220g spring onions , trimmed, thinly sliced or chopped, 4 strips to garnish
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
3d* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
Price per kg: £6.76
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
Price per kg: £6.68
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
Price per kg: 69p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price each: 25p
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
Price per 100ml: 19p
Price per litre: £14.58
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 14-Jul-2014 and 25-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.