£2.54£5.08 per kg
FLAVOUR IS A FRONTIER
Natoora Italian Madernassa Poaching Pears
- A natural graft with the French Martin Sec, Madernassa are thin-skinned with crisp flesh and distinct tannic flavour.
- Grown slowly with minimum intervention, the dry, acidic soil of the Tanaro riverbanks forces the the fruit to work hard to extract essential nutrients, producing a dense and exceptionally fragrant pear.
- Sourced direct from small-scale growers at the Roero market, just three miles from where the 130 year-old mother tree stood until 1914.
- Harvested by hand at full maturity.
- We only source Madernassa Pears during their real seasonal window of September to March.
Take it further
- Thinly sliced, tossed with radicchio, gorgonzola dolce and roasted walnuts
- Poached with cardamom and lemon peel
Natoora's radical approach to seasonal sourcing is shaping the future of food
We don't work with industrial agriculture or large wholesalers
We work closely with growers who are preserving vital flavours through meaningful small farming
We back these growers to build a better future for food, rooted in small scale, sustainable agriculture that gives back to our planet
Country of Origin
Suitable for vegetarians
Product life guaranteed for 3 days excluding delivery day.
Ratings and reviews
Customer reviews (3)
Best poaching pears ever
These are a poaching pear and - without a doubt - the best you are likely to find. I poached them in a sugar syrup (not too sweet) with split cinnamon sticks, a couple of cloves, whole black peppercorns and some split white cardamoms. Served with some cardamom cream, they were just wonderful. They can probably be eaten uncooked (I have never tried) but suspect you would need very strong teeth.
fragrant, sweet, crisp
Best pears Ive ever bought. Really light and crisp yet super sweet with that rare fragrance you seldom come across
Despite the pears initial unpromising and lacklustre appearance, they were the tastiest pears Ive ever eaten.