We know that by choosing Ocado to deliver your groceries, you've placed a great deal of trust in us. We also understand that you want the personal information you give us to be kept private as well as secure. To reassure you that we feel the same way, here's how we will and, more importantly, will not use the personal information you give us.
By entering your personal information in the Ocado web site you accept that we may retain your information and it may be held by Ocado or by any third party company which processes it on our behalf.
What we collect and why
The information we gather from customers helps us to continually improve the service we offer to our customers.
When you shop with Ocado, there are different ways we gather information about you:
- When you register with us, we ask for information such as your name, e-mail address, delivery address, contact details and, if you place an order, your credit card details. We keep a record of this information. All this is necessary for us to recognise you as a registered customer and to fulfil the orders you place with us. Storing this information means you do not need to re-enter these details each time you shop.
- We keep a record of your purchases with us, which means we can create lists of your favourite items to make your shopping experience quicker and more convenient. It also means we can deal a lot quicker with any problems you may experience with your order.
- We keep a record of any e-mail correspondence you send us. This helps us keep track of your likes and dislikes and any problems or concerns you've had with our products or services.
- Telephone calls made to our Customer Service Helpline may be recorded for monitoring and quality control purposes.
How We Use Your Personal Information
All the information we collect via our website or through correspondence with you is used to operate and improve the service we offer you. We are committed to using your personal information only for:
- Dealing with orders and accounts for the supply of our goods and services.
- Monitoring and improving the Ocado web site and our services.
- Planning and managing Ocado business activities, including analysing customers' shopping habits and preferences.
- Enabling third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf.
- Conducting market research including statistical analysis of customer behaviour which we may disclose to third parties in depersonalised, aggregated form.
- Providing you with information about the products and services we offer.
- Providing you with periodic communications (this may be by post, telephone, SMS, email or as part of your Ocado grocery delivery) about features, products, services, events, promotions and special offers. Such communications from Ocado might include advertising for or offers from third parties. If you wish to withdraw your consent from receiving these communications you can do so by logging onto your Ocado account and amending your communication settings online.
- Assessing your request for delivery of groceries from us where we may make enquiries about you including searching your records held by organisations like Experian and Equifax and credit reference agencies. We may also check your details held by the IMRG Security Alert scheme and other fraud prevention schemes.
- Enabling our debt collection agency to collect payment from you should that be necessary.
- Preventing and detecting fraud or abuses of our website.
- Allowing us to comply with any requirements imposed on Ocado by law or court order.
Unsubscribing from our Marketing Communications
When you create your Ocado account you will be given the option to receive special offers and important information about our service and from our carefully selected partners. We will never pass your personal details to other companies for marketing purposes without your permission, and only then with approved partners. In the event that you do not wish to be contacted for such purposes, ensure that you tick the appropriate box as you go through the registration process.
If you wish to subsequently withdraw your consent from receiving these communications you can do so by logging onto your Ocado account and amending the Marketing Communications settings (Go to Settings / Marketing Communications and tick the appropriate boxes). You can also find an unsubscribe link at the end of all our promotional e-mails.
Alternatively, you may unsubscribe from our contact list at any time by sending an email from your Ocado registered e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line.
When we share your personal information
Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we do not sell or rent your information to anyone else to enable them to send you direct marketing unless you agree otherwise. However, there are circumstances where it is necessary for us to share personal information in order for us to provide our customers with the Ocado delivery service. At all times where we use or disclose your information it will remain secure.
The circumstances where we may share some of your information with others are described below:
- Third Party Service Providers
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. For example we engage companies to analyse customer information, provide marketing assistance, process credit card payments. We also engage agents including credit reference agencies, fraud prevention and detection agencies and debt collection agencies that we use to process the orders you place with us or who assist us in the service we provide to you. In these instances, we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function.
- Promotional Offers
Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of Ocado customers on behalf of other businesses. We will not permit other businesses to contact Ocado customers directly and all such promotional offers will come via Ocado. If you wish to withdraw your consent from receiving these communications you can do so by logging onto your Ocado account and amending your communication settings online.
- Business Transfer
- Research Companies
To outside research companies whom we may ask to contact you directly for your opinions on our products and services (in which case we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function).
- Protection of Ocado and Others
We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, to enforce our Terms and Conditions and other agreements or protect the rights, property or safety of Ocado, our customers or others.
- With your consent
Other than as set out above you will receive notice when information about you may be sent to a third party and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Cookies and Online Marketing Management Tools
Cookies are small text files that websites can send to your computer. A cookie can be thought of as an internet user's identification card, which tells a website when the user has returned. Cookies are not computer programs, and can't read other information saved on your hard drive. They cannot be used to disseminate viruses, or get a user's e-mail address etc. They only contain and transfer to the website as much information as the users themselves have disclosed to that website.
Ocado uses digital marketing organisations to attract new customers to our site. In order to track where new customers come from the digital marketing organisations provide us with technology such as pixels and transparent GIF files. That technology works by recognising a cookie on your web browser enabling us to identify which advert brought you to us. The technology is not able to identify any of your personal details.
Security and Data Retention
Security is very important to Ocado and we use sophisticated technology to ensure that your information is protected at all times. Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") encryption technology is used for protection of information in transit for any sensitive transactions such as payments. Additional security procedures are in place to protect the confidentiality and integrity of your information.
We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order. We also display the last four digits of your credit card, the expiry date and card type on your receipt. Of course we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during the order processing.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when using a shared computer.
Fraudsters create authentic looking, but false or "spoof" websites. Their purpose is to tempt users to enter personal information to be re-used to try and access your bank accounts. Fraudsters are increasingly turning to email to generate traffic to these websites. Recently customers of several financial institutions have received such emails and this activity is only likely to increase. Such emails typically contain a link to a spoof website and advise account holders to enter user names and passwords so that security details can be updated or passwords changed.
If you get any email containing an embedded link and a request for you to enter any personal details, treat it as suspicious and do not input any personal information, even if the page appears legitimate. No reputable company ever sends emails of this type.
Data over the Internet
The internet is a global network - therefore there are cases where your data travels internationally, which may include places outside the European Union. We want you to know that if you visit or shop with Ocado, you're agreeing and authorising us to process data this way.
You may change your personal information retained by Ocado at any time by accessing your user profile on the Ocado web site.
The Company Secretary
Hatfield Business Park
Hatfield, AL10 9NE