Marriage's Finest Self Raising Flour 1.5kg
£1.10 per kg
W & H Marriage & Sons Ltd has been milling flour in Essex since 1824.
Marriage's was founded by twins William and Henry nearly 200 years ago. Today the fifth and sixth generations of the Marriage family continue the milling tradition. We source the best wheat, much of it from farmers within 30 miles of Chelmer Mills (pictured above), including our own arable farms. Our flour is produced using a combination of the traditional techniques we have trusted for generations and the best modern milling technology.
Marriage's range includes Organic, Speciality and Stoneground flours.
Follow us on facebook and twitter
Store in a cool dry place.
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Baking Time 25 minutes
Makes 1 Large Cake
225g Fines Self Raising flour
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
3 large free-range eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 rounded tablespoons of good jam: raspberry, strawberry or blackberry
200g berries: raspberries, strawberries or blackberries
150ml double or whipping cream, chilled
2 x 20.5cm/8inch sandwich tins, greased and based-lined
1. Heat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C/350°F/ Gas 4.
2. Put the soft butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until very light and creamy. Beat the eggs and vanilla with a fork then gradually beat into the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour onto the mixture and carefully fold in with a large metal spoon.
3. Divide the mixture between the two lined tins and spread evenly. Bake in the heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a light golden brown and the sponge spring back when gently pressed.
4. Run a round-bladed knife around the side of the tins to loosen the sponges then turn out on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. Set one sponge upside down on a serving plate and spread with the jam. Top with the berries. Whip the cream until it thickens and stands in soft peaks. Spread the cream over the berries then gently place the second sponge on top and press down to sandwich the cakes.
6. Dust with icing sugar. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within two days.
For individual cakes divide the mixture into mini Victoria sandwich tins or small metal pudding basins.
W & H Marriage & Sons Ltd,
Bag - Paper
Packing - Recyclable
Allergy Advice: For allergens see highlighted ingredients
Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate E500, Calcium Phosphate E341(i))
|Typical Values||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||0.3g|
|of which sugars||2.1g|
This tasty variation on the traditional pink and white battenburg cake pairs chocolate and orange. The recipes requires a little effort, however the result is more than worth it! You'll find more delicious recipes like this one in Olive Magazine.
1 hr 15 mins
Rich, dense and fruity, this is a Christmas cake in the best tradition. Top up the booze as much you like (or dare!). As ingredients, I’ve gone for Columbian Blacktail eggs because they really add to that richness; Marriage’s extra fine self-raising flour – you’ll find it hard to beat their quality; and Dr Oetker Ready to Roll icing, as it’s just so much easier than making your own!
An easy, simple recipe with few ingredients; this cake has all the smells and flavours of a traditional well-matured Christmas cake yet can be made just a day or so before cutting and won't disappoint. The secret is to use a jar of really good mincemeat - either homemade or the best you can find - as the matured fruit and nut mixture will be plump and moist and full of spices and, if you're lucky, spirit. The top can be left plain, scattered with granulated sugar or brushed with melted apricot jam then decorated with nuts.
1 hr 30 mins
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.