Ocado British Growing Basil
Pick tender leaves from the plant to adorn your caprese salad, or chop and mix with olive oil for a fantastic pesto sauce for your pasta, magnifico!
Caprese Salad - Place alternate slices of mozzarella and beef tomato on a plate, sprinkle basil leaves over and drizzle with olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
Pesto - Combine pine nuts, basil, grated parmesan, garlic and olive oil in a food processor and blend. Stir into your favourite pasta.
The best way to look after basil is to let the plant tell you it needs watering, as it will start to wilt. The plants will quickly spring back up and the stress will actually increase the oil content they are producing, improving the flavour. It is also important not to water the plants too soon before harvesting the leaves, as this will dilute the flavour. Basil is highly susceptible to chill (below 10°C) or cold draughts - the leaves will start to blacken.
Do not refrigerate, wash before use.
Growing herbs are 'cut as you need', harvest just above leaf growth to encourage the plant to re-grow.
Watering the herbs from the bottom is the key to keeping them healthy and to prolonging their life. Your herbs have always been watered from below so by keeping to this regime you will extend the life of the plant.
Remove the herb pots from their sleeves and place the pots on a saucer. By placing water at the bottom of the tray you can always see how much water your plants have taken up. As most herbs originate from hot countries they like to be kept on the dry side. The more heat and light they are exposed to, the more frequently they will need watering. Generally water little and often and never keep your plant in standing water.
1. Pick leaves as required.
2. Wash before use.
3. Tear or chop.
4. Add at the end of cooking for maximum flavour.
Country of Origin
Our growing herbs are British grown all year round
Produced and packed for:
Ocado Retail Ltd.,
Ocado Growing Herbs come in a specially designed outer carton to prevent damage during transit.
Recipe kindly provided by Tenderstem.
Evian and Badoit have teamed up with BAFTA to create a series of refreshing mocktails to serve to the nominees. It’s never been so easy to create your own BAFTA party at home.
A uniquely patriotic reinvention of a classic dish, combining red rice, white mozzarella and green pesto.
4 hrs 15 mins
Put two peppers on each plate, garnish with some rocket or extra basil leaves and serve with crusty bread to mop up any juices.
Sea salt is used to capture and seal in the natural juices of the fresh flavours of the lemon and herbs.
1 hr 5 mins
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- These summary details have been prepared for information purposes only, and are designed to enhance your shopping experience on the Ocado website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should note that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label.
- Ocado is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. Where this description contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Ocado has no control over and no liability for the contents of that website.
- You should also note that the picture images show only our serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included.
- This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Ocado Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.