You might like
You are in:
- 3 Cheese Hot Dog Macaroni with Crispy Crumb Topping
3 Cheese Hot Dog Macaroni with Crispy Crumb Topping
- 400g macaroni, (we used Garofalo Boccole pasta)
- 270g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g frankfurters, sliced into 1-2cm rounds (we used Unearthed Bavarian Frankfurters)
- 60g bruschettas, (preferably sourdough) crushed up
- 50g unsalted butter, (for the sauce)
- 50g plain flour, (for the sauce)
- 800ml full fat milk, (for the sauce)
- 100g gruyere, grated (for the sauce)
- 100g mature cheddar, grated (for the sauce)
- 25g parmesan, grated (for the sauce)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme, chopped (for the sauce)
- 100g green salad, to serve
Total time required
- Cooking time:
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, make the cheese sauce: In a saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat, then add the flour and stir continuously for around 2 mins, until it turns golden. Grab a whisk and add the milk gradually; keep whisking the whole time, until the sauce starts to thicken (about 3-5 mins). Remove from the heat and add the gruyère, 50g of the cheddar, the parmesan and lemon thyme leaves. Season to taste and set aside.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain and pour the cheese sauce over then add the tomatoes and the frankfurters. Stir, transfer into a large ovenproof dish and scatter the remaining 50g cheddar on top with the crushed bruschettas.
- Oven cook for 15 mins, until bubbling. Remove, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve with a lovely fresh green salad.
Recipe published with permission from OcadoLife magazine