- Aromatic Citrus Polenta Cake
Aromatic Citrus Polenta Cake
- 40g Merchant Gourmet polenta
- 110g ground almonds
- 275g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- 1½ tsps baking powder, level
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 orange , grated zest for the cake, the juice for the syrup
- 1 lemon, grated zest for the cake, the juice for the syrup
- 1 lime, grated zest for the cake, the juice for the syrup
- 75g Lyle's Golden Syrup, for the syrup
- 5 star anise, for the syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks, for the syrup
- 8 cardamom pods, lightly crushed under the blade of a knife, for the syrup
- 200g greek yoghurt, for the garnish
- 110g pomegranate seeds, for the garnish
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
You will need a 20cm x 6cm non-stick cake tin, lightly oiled and the base lined with parchment paper, plus extra for covering the cake.
- Combine the polenta almonds, sugar and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Mix the oil and eggs together, then stir into the polenta mixture with a wooden spoon to make a thick, batter-like consistency. Stir in the orange, lemon and lime zest.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and place on the middle shelf of a cold oven, then set the temperature to 190°C/170° Fan, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then crumple up the parchment paper, run it under cold water, shake to remove any excess water and place over the tin to prevent the cake from over-browning. Bake for a further 30 minutes until rich brown and a fine skewer comes out clean when poked through the centre.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by combining the Lyle's Golden Syrup, juices and all the spices in a small pan. Put over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes until syrupy. Set aside to allow the spices to infuse, strain and reserve the spices.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a serving plate, carefully peeling off the parchment paper.
- Pierce the cake all over with a fine skewer and, while it’s still warm, start spooning over the syrup which will take 1-2 hours for it to absorb it all.
- Arrange all the spices from the syrup on top of the cake to decorate, and serve with bowls of Greek yoghurt and pomegranate seeds sprinkled with some left over syrup if desired.
Recipe published with kind permission of Tate & Lyle Cane Sugars.