- Banana, Baileys & Brazil Nut Brulee
Banana, Baileys & Brazil Nut Brulee
There is something special about the sound of a crisp caramel brulee top cracking - and the addition of brazil nuts makes it an even better experience. This rich indulgent grown-up dessert can be made in one large or six individual dishes.
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 50ml Full Cream Milk
- 568ml Double Cream
- 100ml Bailey's Original Irish Cream
- 4 medium Eggs
- 3 small Bananas
- 100g Brazil Nuts, roughly chopped
- 150g Caster Sugar
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Pour the milk, cream and Baileys into a pan and stir in the vanilla extract. Heat gently over a low heat until almost boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, lightly whisk together one egg and three egg yolks and half of the sugar, until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually pour the hot cream mixture over the eggs, whisking constantly, until smooth and combined . Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Pour through a fine sieve into a large jug.
- Slice the bananas and divide between 6 x 150ml ramekin dishes. Pour the custard mixture evenly over the top, tapping the dishes gently to level the surface. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight, until set .
- Just before serving, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the remaining caster sugar over the custards and grill for 2 minutes, or until golden and caramelised . Sprinkle with the chopped Brazil nuts and return to the grill for 30-60 seconds to brown lightly. Allow to stand for 1 minute to allow the caramel to harden, then serve.
Recipe published with permission from Waitrose