- BBQ Pulled Jackfruit with Sweetcorn Salsa
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit with Sweetcorn Salsa
“Fast and full of flavour, this pulled
jackfruit with sweetcorn salsa will become a firm family favourite. If you’re a
fan of pulled pork, or would like to try a low-fat, vegan version of the
American classic, this recipe is ready in under 30 minutes. From India and
Southeast Asia, fresh jackfruit is rarely found in the UK, but
this tinned variety works just as well.” – Katy Beskow
15 Minute Vegan: Comfort Food by Katy Beskow (Quadrille) £15
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, finely sliced
- 400g jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprkia
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Worcester sauce, (ensure it’s vegan, anchovy free)
- 1 large handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp smoked salt
- 4 tbsp canned sweetcorn, drained
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, leaves finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 burger buns, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Total time required
- Cooking time:
- To make the pulled jackfruit, heat the sunflower oil, onion and green pepper in a large pan over a medium-high heat for 5 mins, until the onion begins to turn golden and the pepper softens.
- Add in the jackfruit, separating the strands with a wooden spoon. Stir through the chilli powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon and vegan Worcester sauce. Cook for 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, prepare the sweetcorn salsa. Add the sweetcorn, diced avocado and coriander to a bowl and stir through the lime juice. Allow to infuse for 5 mins.
- Brush the non-seeded side of the bread buns with olive oil and place onto a hot griddle pan or under the grill for 3-4 mins until just toasted.
- When the jackfruit is done, remove from the heat and scatter over the chopped parsley and smoked sea salt.
- To assemble, load the BBQ pulled jackfruit into the buns followed by the sweetcorn salsa, finishing with the top half of the seeded buns.
Recipe published with permission from OcadoLife magazine