You might like
You are in:
- Chestnut Bourguignonne Pie…
Chestnut Bourguignonne Pie…
Chestnut Bourguignonne Pie
A stunning vegetarian pie, perfect for winter.
- 110g chestnuts
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 210ml vegetarian red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 25g butter
- 8 small shallots , peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 110g chestnut mushrooms
- 50g button mushrooms
- 10ml Dijon mustard
- 45ml soy sauce
- 225g vegetarian puff pastry , thawed if frozen
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley , to serve
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Place the chestnuts, herbs and 5floz of wine in a saucepan with the vegetable stock to cover and cook until just tender - around 50 minutes.
- Drain the chestnuts, reserving the liquid.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and saute the onions until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts, the remaining red wine and sufficient chestnut cooking liquor to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce the liquid a little. Stir in the mustard, soy and add black pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check seasoning and consistency and adjust if necessary.
- Spoon the mixture into a pie dish. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of the filling. Bake for around 20 minutes until golden.
Recipe published with permission from the Vegetarian Society.