- Easy Flatbread
A simple yeast bread cooked in a frying pan.
Good with curries and Moroccan dishes. Alternatively, use as a base for quick, deli-style pizzas, topped with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and caramelized onions.
- 500g strong white flour ,
- 2 tsp salt
- 7g fast-action dried yeast ,
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: rising
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add 250–300ml (8–10fl oz) water, or enough to make a soft dough, and knead well. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover loosely with oiled cling film, and leave to rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and lightly knead. Divide into 8 equal pieces and flatten each piece to a 1cm (1/2in) thick circle. Use a rolling pin to flatten them a little more. Place on a lightly floured baking tray for 10 minutes to prove.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, then add a flatbread. Fry until brown for 3 minutes, then turn over and fry for another 2 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack while you cook the rest of the batch, then serve.
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008