You might like
You are in:
- Strawberry Granita
Bursting with fresh fruit flavour this frozen dessert is the perfect refreshment on a hot summer day.
- 1 kg fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, cut in half and squeezed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pieces star anise
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: 120 mins freezing
- Wash 1 kilo of fresh stawberries, drain to dry then cut into quarters and place in a large metal bowl.
- Add 100 grams of granulated sugar and squeeze in the juice from half a fresh lemon.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm to make a tight seal then put the bowl on to a saucepan of boiling water and leave to heat through on the stove for one hour.
- After one hour remove the metal bowl with the strawberries, take off the clingfilm lid and pour the strawberry juice and fruit through a strainer into a large saucepan. Add 2 whole pieces of star anise and one cinamon stick then push the fruit through the strainer with a spoon to capture some of the strawberry pulp. When you have removed all the liquid dispose of (or compost) the dry pith and mix the juice and pulp with the star anise and cinnamon then leave for to steep for 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow metal tray and place in a freezer for approximately 20 minutes - when the mixture should start to freeze. Note freezer temperatures vary so if it hasn't started to freeze return to the freezer.
- Using a fork work through the mixture and return to the freezer for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and mix it with a fork to create a rough texture now put it back into the freezer until it looks solid and crispy.
- Finally remove from the freezer and spoon into frosted glasses to serve.
Recipe published with permission from Arthur Potts Dawson