Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and sweat gently for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the leeks, and continue to sweat gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat, stir in the flour, and add a little of the cider. Return to the heat, pour in the remaining cider, and cook for 5–8 minutes until thickened.
Stir through the parsley and cream, and spoon the mixture into the pie dish with the fish. Combine gently, and season well with salt and black pepper.
Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface so that it is about 5cm (2in) larger all around than the top of the pie dish. Cut out a strip of pastry about 2.5cm (1in) in from the edge to make a collar. Wet the edge of the pie dish with a little water; fit the pastry strip all the way around, and press down firmly. Brush the pastry collar with a little of the egg wash, then top with the pastry lid. Trim away the excess, and pinch together the edges to seal. Using a sharp knife, make 2 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Brush the top of the pie all over with the egg wash, and bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve hot.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 150ml cider
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 150ml double cream
- 675g raw white fish, such as haddock or pollack, cut into chunks
- 300g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
34p per 10g
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 8.5 days.
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 5 days.
£3.60 per kg
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 11.5 days.
4d* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.Typically
£16.50 per kg
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 19.5 days.
74.8p per 10g
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 02-Sep-2015. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.