The aubergine soaks up the flavours of the tomato and basil, the cheese melts and it is delicious with lots of crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F/Gas mark 5).
Slice the aubergines into 1-cm (½-in) slices.
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and fry the aubergine until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen towel.
Place half the aubergine slices in a layer in the bottom of a small casserole dish, layer with half the mozzarella, half the tomato sauce, half the basil and half the Parmesan.
Repeat, finishing with the Parmesan. Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the dish is bubbling. Serve with green vegetables or a salad and crusty bread.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Freeze extra portions in small sealable bags or containers, and label. To use from frozen, carefully defrost. Heat through fully before serving.
- 3 small aubergines
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 250g mozzarella cheese, torn or grated
- 325ml tomato passata
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
12.6p per 100g
1d+* Product life guaranteed for 1 day excluding delivery day, with an average of 2 days.
34p per 10g
6d* Product life guaranteed for 6 days excluding delivery day
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
£47.50 per kg
Recipe published with kind permission from Beverley Glock.
- Life guarantee
- Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow with the Life guarantee starting the following day. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 28-Feb-2017. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.