Ban Xeo Vietnamese Pancakes
Whisk the batter ingredients together (rice flour, butter, turmeric, salt, 175ml water, coconut milk).
Heat a frying or crepe pan (or a wok) to a high temperature and pour in a tablespoon of oil. When this is hot, ladle in enough of your batter to just cover the base of the pan.
After a few minutes, scatter the meat, onion, spring onion, the prawns and the beansprouts over half the pancake. Fold half the pancake over, pour another teaspoon or so of oil around the edge of the pancake and cover with an upturned metal bowl or a lid and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the ingredients start to soften and the underneath of the crepe has started to turn golden and darker brown in spots.
While the pancake is cooking, mix together all the ingredients for the Nuoc Cham dipping sauce (4 tablespoons water, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, chillies, garlic, flavourless oil) and whisk till the sugar dissolves. Tear the leaves from the lettuce leaving them as large as possible.
Drain the pancake on some kitchen paper and pop onto a plate; to eat, tear pieces of it off and wrap up in the lettuce leaves with some of the fresh herbs. Dip into the nuoc cham and enjoy.
- 124g rice flour
- 1 tbspn butter, melted, or flavourless oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- 88ml coconut milk
- 250g cooked chicken, or pork, cut into slices
- 150g prawns, raw, shelled
- 3 small spring onions, (or 1 large) finely sliced on diagonal
- 100g beansprouts
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbspn sugar
- 1 lime, juice, to taste
- 2 tbspn fish sauce
- 2 bird's eye chillies, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
- 1 butterhead lettuce
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: Cook time: 5-7 minutes per pancake
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
£3.80 per kg
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 5 days.
£12.12 per kg
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
£1.34 per 100g
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
34p per 10g
33.9p per 10g
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
18.3p per 100g
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
75.8p per 100ml
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
£22.22 per kg
2d+* Product life guaranteed for 2 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3.5 days.
37.8p per 100ml
£1.40 per kg
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 5.5 days.
£1.26 per 100ml
3d* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 3 days.
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Recipe published with permission from OcadoLife magazine
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 07-Feb-2016. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.