Preheat the oven to 190ºC, gas mark 5. Scatter the plum quarters in a 1-litre shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the lemon juice and 125ml cold water.
Place the flour in a food processor and add the butter. Blend until the butter is incorporated into the flour and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the remaining sugar and the oats and pulse briefly until the mixture begins to cling together.
Tip the crumble over the plums, spreading it almost to the edges of the dish (it looks more appetising if the plums are just showing around the edges). Bake for about 45 minutes until the crumble is pale golden brown. Serve with Cornish clotted cream or Waitrose Fresh Vanilla Custard.
To make ahead, put the plums, sugar, lemon juice and water in the dish up to 2 hours ahead and cover. Make the crumble mixture, cover and chill but keep separately. Scatter over the plums just before baking. The crumble layer can also be made by hand. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it look likes chunky breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and oats.
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 175g demerara sugar
- 1 kg plum punnet , stoned and quartered
- 150g slightly salted butter, cut into pieces
- 50g Scottish porridge oats
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
3w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 3 weeks
£2.70 per kg
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
34p per 100ml
4d* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
25p per 100g
Recipe published with permission from Waitrose
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 28-May-2016. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.