- Organic Coq Au Vin
Organic Coq Au Vin
Pieces of chicken cooked slowly in a rich red wine sauce, enhanced by the robust flavours of shallots, garlic, mushrooms and bacon.
Many people believe that organic food simply tastes better, which is why you’ll find a selection of delicious organic ingredients in this recipe.
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 shallots , peeled and left whole
- 2 sprigs thyme , fresh
- 2 bay leaves , torn
- 250g cup mushrooms , cleaned and halved
- 200g smoked lardons
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 300ml chicken stock
- 750ml medium to full bodied red wine
- 6 chicken thighs
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Pour the wine into a medium pan and boil for about 5 minutes, or until reduced by a third.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid. Add the chicken and fry for 8-10 minutes, until the skin is well browned, turning frequently (you may need to do this in batches). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the bacon lardons and shallots to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned, then stir in the flour and continue cooking for a further minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the garlic, thyme, bay leaves, reduced wine and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season. Serve with boiled carrots, steamed green beans and some potatoes which have been mashed together with a knob of butter and a splash of milk.
Recipe published with permission from Waitrose