You might like
You are in:
- Apple Cheese Cake
Apple Cheese Cake
Apple Cheese Cake
Cheesecake with a tasty difference - sweet yet sharp, and gorgeous with a blob of crème-fraiche.
- 100g butter, (50g for the base, 50g for the topping)
- 100g digestive biscuits, crushed
- 100g caster sugar, (75g for the base, 25g for the topping)
- 350g cottage cheese, sieved
- 5 apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 50g sultanas
Total time required
- Cooking time:
- Grease the base and sides of a 20cm/8 inch loose-bottomed cake tin. Mix together the biscuit crumbs, butter and sugar. Press over the base of the cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar for the filling.
- Add the chopped apples to 3 tbsp of water and heat in the microwave until soft and tender. Mix in a blender to produce a puree.
- Add the cottage cheese, apple puree and lemon rind and beat well. Gradually beat in the eggs and add the cornflour and sultanas.
- Spoon the filling over the crumb base.
- Cook in the centre of a cool oven (150°C/300°F or Gas Mark 2) for 1¼ hours until firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool then remove from the tin.
- To do this, loosen the sides of the mixture with a palette knife, push the cheesecake up from the base of the tin, then slide the palette knife under the crumb mixture to remove from the metal baseof the cake tin.
- Optional Topping Variations: Top with whipped cream and well drained poached apple slices, or raw apple sliced and dipped in lemon juice. Glaze with sieved apricot jam.
- For Vanilla cheesecake follow the proportions for the Apple Cheesecake above, but use 450g/1lb cream or curd cheese instead of the cottage cheese and ½ to 1 teaspoon vanilla essence instead of lemon rind. Add 4 tablespoons double cream and omit apple puree.
Recipe published with permission from Marguerite Patten