You might like
You are in:
- Chocolate Cupcakes
We use a devil’s food cake for our chocolate base. The cocoa powder gives the sponge a dark colour and chocolatey kick. The sponge should be light and moist, with all the ingredients well incorporated. But don’t overbeat the mixture, as the sponge will be too heavy.
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1½ tsps baking powder
- 1 Pinch salt
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tub silver balls, to decorate
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Prepare one quantity of Chocolate Frosting (see separate recipe).
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the Chocolate Frosting on top and decorate with chocolate vermicelli or silver balls.
Recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (Tarek Malouf and the Hummingbird Bakers) published with kind permission of Ryland, Peters and Small.