- Carrot Cake
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon , plus extra to decorate
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 300g carrots , grated
- 100g shelled walnuts , chopped, plus extra, chopped and whole, to decorate
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Prepare two quantities of Cream Cheese Frosting (see separate recipe). Base line three 20-cm cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the sugar, eggs and oil in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated (don’t worry if the mixture looks slightly split). Slowly add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well mixed.
- Stir in the grated carrots and walnuts by hand until they are all evenly dispersed. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tins and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until golden brown and the sponge bounces back when touched. Leave the cakes to cool slightly in the tins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cakes are cold, put one on a cake stand and spread about one-quarter of the Cream Cheese Frosting over it with a palette knife. Place a second cake on top and spread another quarter of the frosting over it.
- Top with the last cake and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides. Finish with walnuts and a light sprinkling of cinnamon.
Recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (Tarek Malouf and the Hummingbird Bakers) published with kind permission of Ryland, Peters and Small.