Five-Root Soup with Bacon
The key to success with this soup is to cut the root vegetables small and keep the pieces all about the same size so they cook evenly. It helps to be in a chopping mood when you set about this one.
If you don’t have any Cheddar to hand, or you want to go easy on the cheese, you can finish the soup with a trickle of rapeseed or olive oil instead. You could also leave out the bacon to make a vegetarian version.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the bacon or pancetta and cook gently until the fat runs and the bacon starts to turn golden. Add the onion and sweat for 10–15 minutes, until soft and golden. Add all the diced root vegetables, cover the pan and let the whole mixture sweat and soften for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
Taste the soup and season accordingly. Ladle into warm bowls, scatter over some chives and top with grated cheese. Serve straight away, with some thick pieces of toast.
VARIATION: This soup is also very good whizzed up in a blender until smooth. Then I like to serve it topped with a dash of pesto.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 100g unsmoked streaky bacon or pancetta, cut into small dice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 150g carrots, cut into small dice
- 150g swede, cut into small dice
- 150g not-so-floury potatoes, such as Wilja, peeled and cut into small dice
- 150g parsnip, cut into small dice
- 150g celeriac, cut into small dice
- 1 litre light vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 chives, snipped, to serve
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated, to serve
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per kg: £8.67
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price per kg: £3.00
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4.5 days.
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 12 days.
Price each: 45p
Price per 10g: 36.8p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 6.5 days.
3d+* Product life guaranteed for 3 days including delivery day, with an average of 4 days.
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price per 100g: 19.1p
1w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 week
Price per kg: £9.56
Price per 100g: 51.8p
Price per 10g: 74.8p
Recipe published with permission from Bloomsbury.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 05-Mar-2015. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.