- Mushroom, Bacon & Pea Risotto
Mushroom, Bacon & Pea Risotto
A little goes a long way and it's a great dish if you're stuck with leftovers. Use low-fat cheese, you won't lose any flavour but you'll cut down on fat and calories.
Recipe and image credit courtesy of the British Cheese Board, www.britishcheese.com
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large Leek, thinly sliced
- 225g Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 75g Back Bacon
- 1 Lemon, juice and rind (this is easier to remove later)
- 60ml White Wine
- 350g Arborio Rice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 litre Low-Salt Chicken Stock
- 75g Petit-Pois
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 125g Hard Cheese
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan and keep it at barely simmering point.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan, add the onion, bacon, leek and 2 tbsps water and cook for about 2-3 mins or until the mixture begins to soften.
- Stir in the rice and season well. Add the wine, lemon rind and 2 tbsps lemon juice and two large tbsps of stock. Cook gently, stirring occasionally until the wine and stock is absorbed.
- Add the mushrooms and gradually add the simmering liquid, a spoonful at a time, let the mixture absorb the stock before adding each spoonful. Keep stirring and adding stock, this will take about 25 mins.
- When most of the stock has been added and the rice is creamy, add the peas and low-fat grated hard cheese and stir until the cheese begins to melt. Remove the lemon rind and season to taste.
- Serve the risotto with salad or rocket leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe published with permission from Good to Know Recipes. This recipe does not appear in the current issue of Good to Know Recipes.