- Smart Pass
Save up to Half Price in our Summer Sale.Summer Sale
Restock your wine rack with savings on red, white and rosé.Wine Sale
Big savings on your family’s favourite ice creams and lollies.Ice Cream Festival
Our new range has everything you need for a Great British barbecue (except the weather).Let's Barbecue
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Sit the peppers in a roasting tin and smother with 1 tablespoon of the oil, using your hands. Roast for 40 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to plastic bags, knot or seal, and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the skins and seeds and discard, then roughly chop the flesh, keeping any juices.
Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy-based pan, add the onions, and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Stir through the garlic and chilli flakes and season with salt and black pepper. Add the roasted peppers and juices, pour in the stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and whiz until blended and smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Leave to cool completely, then transfer to a freezerproof container, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a pan and heat until piping hot. Stir through the basil, drizzle with oil, and serve with fresh crusty bread.
- 10 red peppers
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 2.3 litres hot vegetable stock
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves, torn, to serve
- 1 drizzle extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Key to icons
- More info
- Tesco price match
- Shopping lists
- Low Price Promise
4d+* Product life guaranteed for 4 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 77.5p
2w+* Product life guaranteed for more than 2 weeks
Price each: 29p
Price per 10g: 32.8p
5d+* Product life guaranteed for 5 days including delivery day, with an average of 7 days.
Price each: 18.3p
Price per 100g: 19.1p
1m+* Product life guaranteed for more than 1 month
Price per 100g: £2.00
Price per 100ml: 59.6p
Price per 10g: 74.8p
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.
- Life guarantee
- * Minimum life based on 'use-by' date of product. Average life based on last week's deliveries. Life guarantee shown based on delivery tomorrow and includes day of delivery. Please book a slot to view Life guarantee for your chosen delivery day. See Terms and Conditions for further details.
- Tesco price match
- ** Matched to Tesco's standard retail price on 30-Jul-2014. See our Terms and Conditions for full details.