- Coconut & Lime Cake
Coconut & Lime Cake
Cut the cake into two rather than three layers. Spread the icing more thickly, to use it up.
- 225g self raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 65g desiccated coconut, (50g for the cake and 15g, toasted, to decorate)
- 2 limes, (zest and 1tbsp juice for the cake and zest and 1tbsp juice for the icing)
- 100g icing sugar
- 300g cream cheese, at room temperature
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
You will need two 18cm by 4cm sponge tins, lightly buttered and bases lined, plus two wire cooling trays
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease the tin and base-line with baking parchment. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the caster sugar, butter, and eggs and mix with an electric hand whisk until well combined. Whisk in the coconut, lime zest, and lime juice. Spoon into the tin and level the top. Bake for 1–1 1 / 4 hours, or until risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully divide the cake into three equal layers using a serrated knife.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lime zest, lime juice, and cream cheese, and whisk with an electric hand whisk until the mixture starts to thicken. Taste to make sure it is sweet enough. Add more icing sugar if it isn’t. Spread over the three layers of the cake, then sandwich them together. Scatter the toasted coconut over the top to decorate.
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. Cook Express 2009.