You might like
You are in:
- Hand-rolled Wild Strawberry and Pink…
Hand-rolled Wild Strawberry and Pink…
Hand-rolled Wild Strawberry and Pink Peppercorn Truffles
Summer is a tricky time for chocolate as the humidity and heat shorten its shelf life dramatically. At this time of year, I always look for truly special and seasonal ingredients. Fraises du bois or French wild strawberries are a real treat, and we are lucky that Scottish wild strawberries are becoming more widely availablle; otherwise regular strawberries will do.
Makes 40 truffles (approximately)
- 200g strawberries, preferably wild
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 200g double cream
- 20g pink peppercorns, well crushed
- 750g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 dusting cornflour or icing sugar, for rolling
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Wash the strawberries well, then place in a saucepan with the sugar and cook until pureed; you want a mixture to reduce by half to concentrate the flavour. Pass through a sieve to remove any lumps and fibres, then return to the heat with the cream and 10g peppercorns and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour on to 450g of the white chocolate, broken into pieces, in a bowl and blend well until smooth. Place in a container to cool, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To roll the truffles: dust your hands with cornflour or icing sugar, take even teaspoonfuls of ganache and rapidly roll into spheres. Place the truffles on to parchment paper and put in the fridge to set.
- To coat your truffles: temper the remaining chocolate, then dip the truffles into it, carefully coating them using your hands. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed peppercorns immediately so that they stick to the chocolate. Place on baking parchment for 10 minutes to set.
Recipe published with permission of Kyle Cathie.