You might like
You are in:
- Pearl Barley, Goat's Cheese & Butternut Squash Risotto
Pearl Barley, Goat's Cheese & Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 250g pearl barley
- 1 Cube vegetable stock
- 250g goat's cheese
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat oven to 180°c/ 160°c fan/ gas 4
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into 2cm chunks and place on an oven tray with the garlic. Drizzle over 2tbsp olive oil, season and mix well. Cook in the over for 25-30 minutes.
- Start the risotto while the squash is cooking; saute the onion, carrot, celery, bay and sage leaves in the remaining 3tbsp olive oil for 5 mins, until soft.
- Add the pearl barley and cook for 1 minute. Pour in a splash of stock and set to simmer. When it's nearly absorbed add a little more and repeat until the stock is used up, or the pearl barely is soft and swollen (about 25-30 mins)
- Retrieve the squash and stir into the risotto. Season to taste and serve in bowls, scattering over the goat's cheese and a little olive oil. Fry the extra sage in olive oil for 1 min and place on top of each bowl.
Recipe published with permission from OcadoLife magazine